Peach Pie

I have a ton of peaches in my freezer from last summer. I peeled and sliced them, added sugar and cinnamon and then froze them. All I had to do today is pull them out of the freezer, thaw and add flour.

However, I will give you the filling recipe first.

Filling
5 cups sliced fresh peaches
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg or cinnamon
dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mine look a bit soupy because they were frozen. The flour takes care of this problem.
Photobucket

Pie Crust
2 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. butter
2/3 cup of shortening (I used Canoleo margarine)
5-7 Tbsp. ice water

The first thing I do is put 5-6 ice cubes in a bowl of water so that it's very cold when I'm ready for it.

Put the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
Photobucket

Cut in the shortening, butter or margarine.
Photobucket

Add the water, 2 Tbsp. at a time and mix with a fork until the dough begins to stick together and form a ball. It always takes me about 6 Tbsp. of water. At this point, I form two equal size balls with the dough.
Photobucket

I have never had luck rolling out dough on a floured surface. I take two sheets of wax paper and roll out the dough between them. You may have to readjust the top sheet if it starts to wrinkle.
Photobucket

It will look like this when it's rolled out.
Photobucket

Be careful to peel the top sheet off the dough. Arrange the dough in the pie dish and gently peel off the bottom sheet.
Photobucket

Add your filling.
Photobucket

Roll out the other dough. Lay it on top of the filling. Roll up the edges, cut 2 or 3 vents and sprinkle with sugar.
Photobucket

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
Photobucket

Cut and serve.
Photobucket

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Well, I am now licking my computer screen! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, I do have to say that this pie cooperated for my photo shoot. Normally they don't come out so pretty looking - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright...I want a peach pie AND the apple crisp! lol That looks amazing!! I have never had luck with pie crusts...but it's on my list to master this fall ;)

    Have a great day Honey :)
    Love,
    Laura in VA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now THAT looks really good!!!
    Thanks for sharing Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pie looks delicious!! Isn't it nice to have fruit in the freezer so that you can make a pie so easily? I use wax paper too ~ I find that it works so well!

    Blessings Terri!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, I love to see what you are cooking. I'm drooling here wishing I could come over and have some peach pie! :-)

    Leah
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/lcourtneymom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only dream about living somewhere where peaches grow - must be fab! I always have a surfeit of rhubarb in my freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so delicious! Just another recipe I have to add to the "have to make" list! I love the tip about rolling the dough out between wax paper. I found the perfect butter pie crust last year and have been able to roll it out on a floured surface. It's such a pain though. The wax paper would make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.