Monday, November 19, 2012

Multitude Monday

Photobucket

Clean, cook, prepare, do, hurry!

Racing from one thing to the next is what I'm good at.  Checking things off my list, just to add more things to the list.

Run here, run there.

I'll relax tomorrow, next week, next month. But tomorrow and next week and next month there is something else to do. I'm skilled at working my "to-do" list, but inept at stopping at "to-day."

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but few things are needed—or indeed only one."

That's me.  When I do stop and read and pray, I cannot shut off the thousand voices in my head.  It's hard to focus on the task of listening.  The worries and concerns drown out God's voice.  I read a verse and a word reminds me of something I need to do.  Or a concern I have.  The next thing I know, my mind is a million miles away.

Yet, I want to live fully in the present.  In "today".  I want to listen attentively to the Lord's voice and hear what He wants to teach me.  My busyness will drown out the silence which is where He speaks. That means I have to be like Mary, Martha's sister.  "She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said."

Mary didn't just continue in her busyness.  She stopped.  She sat at Jesus' feet, a position of submission, and listened attentively.

I don't went to spend all my time preparing for Thanksgiving on Thursday.  I want to live thanksgiving today.  To take time and stop, sit and listen.  

Preparation is necessary.  I have a household to run.  Yet, I must find a way to be deliberate in stopping the busyness long enough...

To hear. To listen.  To learn.  To be still.  To be in today.  

Won't you join me in living in the "today?"

Today I'm thankful for blessings #1326-1340.

♥ A car that is fixed and returned.

♥ Working to break bad habits.
♥ A jar full of our thank yous.
Photobucket

♥ Clothes, warm from the dryer.
♥ Time which is mine to use or waste.
♥ Crunchy pickles that taste like summer.
♥ Dinner out with my husband.
♥ The smell of cinnamon, cloves and ginger baking in a pie.
Photobucket

♥ My son, playing wonderful music.
♥ That Nathan is getting more hours at work.
♥ New faces at church.
♥ The beautiful sound of voices praising.
♥ Fresh brewed coffee.
♥ Refreshing sleep.

And finally...


♥ Slowing down and hearing.



1 comment:

  1. Hope you DO get to enjoy your Thanksgiving day. I love the Mary and Martha story. We even did a womans' study called "How to be Mary in a Martha World." Can you guess which one I am?

    Love you,
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do cherish each comment.