Happy Birthday, Stephen!

 photo 66c1370a-e3d6-4694-af46-50c0fc81d42c_zps54450307.jpg

Dear Stephen,

You are twenty years old today.  Happy Birthday, my son!  I love you so much and it's been such a pleasure as your mother to see you grow and mature over the past year.  There are so many things I want to tell you.

First of all, I'm proud of you.  I love seeing your compassion for others shine through.  As I listen to you talk with your Dad about things such as racism, poverty, social justice, and your beliefs, my heart swells.  There is so much of your father in you.  Your love for those less fortunate, your desire to help others, your ability to get along with everyone are all mirror images of your father.  I love those things in him and I love them in you too.

You have flourished in college and I love your passion for learning.  Even though I tease you about it, your desire to expand your vocabulary is a good thing.  It means you want to learn more.  You want to stretch your brain and further your education.  It's wonderful how you communicate with your professors on a regular basis and are getting the most out of your college years.

Your sense of humor keeps us laughing all the time.  You have a quick wit and you make me smile.  I love how you find the funny in many situations.  The gift of laughter will help you through many situations and it's good.  God created humor!

I know there times when we clash and a lot of that is because you are just like me in so many ways.  You don't like to feel dependent on others.  You want to do it "yourself."  You don't like to feel like you are failing at anything.  I remember how you whined non-stop when you began to get mobile as a baby until you learned to walk.  The day you started walking was the day the whining stopped.  It was like you were so impatient to get around on your own and didn't want to depend on anyone.

It's good to want to be responsible and take care of yourself, but don't forget that God puts others in our lives to help us grow and stretch.  Community is good and accepting help from others does not mean you are a failure.

You are like me in your love of writing and you communicate so well through the written word.  I always find it interesting how you will struggle to tell me something but can write it so clearly.  I'm a lot like that and I get it!  Sometimes there are so many thoughts, emotions, and words swirling around your brain and it's easier to get them out on paper.

My prayer is that you will continue to grow in your walk with the Lord.  That you will love Him with all your heart, soul and mind.  That you will allow Him to use your life and mold you into the man He wants you to be.  You are heading in a good direction.  Keep looking to the Lord for guidance and you will go far!

Happy birthday, Stephen.  I love you!

Mom

Comments

  1. Happy 20th birthday to Stephen! You are a kind, bright and compassionate young man with a bright future. Plus your parents love you so much! Have a fun and productive year.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.