Cranberry-Orange Scones


I made cranberry-orange scones for the farmer's market yesterday and I think they were the best I've ever made.  I thought I'd share the recipe here today.  I know a lot of people add glaze to the top of the scones but I never do.  Traditional scones are sweet but not loaded with sugar and glazes.  These are perfect with a cup of tea.

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
7 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup cold butter
1 Tbsp. grated orange peel
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup half and half
1 egg, beaten

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and soda together in a large bowl.  Cut in butter until it resembles course crumbs and set aside.

In a small bowl, mix together orange peel, cranberries, orange juice, half & half an egg.  Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.

Turn out onto a floured surface and gently knead 6-8 times.  Pat into an 8" circle and cut into 10 wedges.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Comments

  1. These look spectacularly delicious, and I plan to make them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.