Frugal Friday: Do it Yourself

I have not done a Frugal Friday post in a very long time.  That seems to be because I've been running flat out for months now and just haven't had time to think about the ways I cut corners.

It occurred to me this morning that a major way I save is the Do it Yourself principle.  I love trying new things and find that when I learn to do things myself, that not only do I save but become less of a consumer.  We live in a buy it now, instant gratification society.  No one waits for anything and if they don't have the money, they just charge it.  And people are also increasingly reliant on others to make and do for them. 

One of the things I'm so thankful for is a mother who taught me the value of learning to acquire new skills.  While she didn't necessarily teach me any of the skills I've learned over the years, she gave me the desire to learn how to do things.  She instilled in me a sense of self-reliance that goes a long way in being frugal.  When I can make something myself, I save money but also add one more thing to my repertoire of skills.

Some of the things skills I've learned over the years is....

Bread baking.
 
 
 
Photography.

 
 
Sewing.


Soap-making.



Canning.






Gardening.



Gutting a fish.



And the list goes on.  It's not just confined to homemaking items.  I've learned to write html code and how to design a website.  I learned how to fix electronics and furniture.  I've learned how to run a business.

All it takes is some time, the desire to learn something new and not being afraid to try.  I fail all the time.  There have been some tremendous flops in my attempts to learn new things.  But I just keep trying until I master it.  In the process I have fun, learn a new skill and save money in the long run.

While I do try many new things, I've also learned that there are some things that others just do better than me, and those are the things I'll pay for.  But if I'm paying for it, you can bet that I know the value of it!

Is there something new you've been wanting to try?  Go ahead and take the plunge!  You may find that you enjoy it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live