Passing the Torch


This morning I get on a plane and fly to North Carolina to visit my mom, stepdad and grandmother.  I'm looking forward to it because it's been almost two years since I last visited with them.  It's hard when your parents get older and they can't travel like they used to.  It's hard being in ministry with little money which makes it difficult to not only find the time to get away, but to find the money to do so.  So the solution was to have me go by myself.

I'm going to miss Dan and the kids but this is such a necessary trip.  One of my reasons for going is to help my mother out a bit if I can convince her to let me do so. (Picture me wrestling a vacuum away from her).  You see my 73 year old mother and 82 year old stepfather have been caring for my 90 year old grandmother for the past year and a half.  And that is tiring.  My mother not only moved my grandmother into their small home but nursed her back to health.

I love my mother with all my heart.  She has so many wonderful qualities, including the desire to care for others.  She often puts her own wants and desires aside to put another person's needs first.  She has worked hard all her life - as a girl, teen, an adult.  She raised and cared for three children by herself.  She sacrificed her whole adult life for the three of us and often did without so we could have things.  She loves the Lord with all of her heart, soul and mind.  There was nothing she wanted more than for the three of us to have that same faith.

I'm looking forward to this visit so that I can do something for her.  I'm looking forward to listening to my grandmother's very interesting stories.  (On a side note, did you realize that my great, great grandmother was the seamstress to Hannibal Hamlin's wife?  He was the vice president under Abraham Lincoln.  Sewing runs in the blood!)  I want to give my mother a bit of a break, even if it's only for four days.

I'd like to think that my mother passed that torch on to me.  I want to carry that same spirit of hard work, determination and love for the Lord that my mother has.  In turn, I want to pass that on to my children as well.

So I'm eagerly boarding that plane this morning, ready to get there and love on my parents!

Comments

  1. Enjoy your visit with your family and safe travels to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time, Terri!! Your mother and grandmother have to be so proud of you as you have such love for the Lord. All 3 of your children do too. The torch has been passed with honor.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revel in every moment with your dear family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.