Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Lamentations 3:21-26 ~

"Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him." The Lord is good to those whose hope is in Him, to the one who seeks Him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."


There have been many events in my life that have been very hard to face.  They were circumstances that brought despair and hopelessness and fear.  Situations that would have caused me to give up if I didn't have the Lord in my life.  But I was able to get through them because of the hope I have in Him. 

These verses in Lamentations don't seem to fit in with the rest of the book.  Lamentations is an eyewitness account from Jeremiah of the destruction that came upon Jerusalem when invaded by the Babylonians. Yet in the very midst of Jeremiah's horror and despair are these words of hope. Jeremiah has hope because he knows the Lord is a compassionate and faithful God.  He is deliberately remembering that the Lord is merciful.

What about you? Are you going through a tough time? Do things look bleak and hopeless?  Does it seem like there is no way out?  Look up, my friends.  There is hope. The Lord's compassions and mercies are new every day. He will see you through the trial. 

These verses also tell us what we should do when facing a crisis.  We are told to wait quietly for the Lord's salvation. Are you running around trying to fix things in your own strength? Are you doing everything you can to change your circumstances or are you waiting on the Lord?   Waiting is hard, isn't it?  However, waiting on the Lord allows Him to work in us and through us.  Remember that we are not consumed by our circumstances even when it may feel that way.

Cling to the Lord. Wait on Him and deliberately call to mind His promises.  His compassion and mercy is pouring out on you each day.  He is faithful.  He will see you through.

Comments