Preparing for the Future


Dan & I have not been able to do a whole lot of preparing for the future and that is mostly because we make just enough to pay our bills.  There is not extra for vacations or putting away for retirement or a rainy day.  I find myself getting frustrated sometimes because I can't figure out why we can't save but when I look at it on paper, there just isn't enough.

So I have been working hard at making a go at my personal business.  I know I'm not going to get rich.  And half the time I think I'm losing money on it.  However, I was pleasantly surprised when our accountant told me that my business actually broke even last year.  Whoo-hoo!!!!  It's progress.


 
I don't talk a lot about Nathan here but we do have to think of the future because our future involves him.  Every now and then the tight noose of fear wraps itself around me when I think about what might happen if anything happened to Dan or I.  So as much as I would like to burry my head in the sand, it's necessary to think about it.


The types of jobs he is able to get will not be much to support himself.  He is very independent in so many ways and yet, he struggles with doing the basics such as writing checks or managing bills or even feeling comfortable calling to set up appointments. 



Anyway, all that to say, I've been working harder at building my business and have added the soaps back in since many people were asking about them.  If I can get to the point where I'm actually making money, we will be able to start putting some away for the future. 


Dan & I have talked about the possibility of purchasing a house so at least Nathan would have a home.  The problem with being in the pastorate is when you move on or retire, there is no housing.  So it's something we truly have to think about.  Our biggest problem would not be the mortgage payments, but the non-existent down payment. :-)

I recently approached a fairly new local antique business that also takes vendors about the possibility of displaying my items there.  Beginning tomorrow, I will have a booth at that spot.  It's in a high traffic area and I have a great spot for my display.  I'm hoping that will bring in some money.  I recently received a largish order on Etsy from a tea company in Chicago.  So my hope is if the owner likes the items she will place more orders and get the word out since this shop is part of a chain.

I'm working hard and trying to work smarter.  I have a number of orders to fill too.  And I really enjoy it so that is a plus.  If I can make money and do what I love to do, I am happy!

So we are talking and preparing for the future.  Not sure what it entails but God is in control and I know He will be faithful not only to us but to our son.

Comments

  1. Don't worry about the future, Terri. God has your future and Nathan's in His Control. He was the one who gave you Nathan and if something were to happen to you, He will provide for Nathan. When you worry, you are doubting God's goodness and His ability to handle your life and Nathan's. Just give your doubts to Him and believe in His Goodness and His ability to provide. If God called you into the ministry, He will provide for your future. Besides, with the way this world is going, Jesus may be returning very soon and your future will be in heaven with him and He has mansions that He is preparing for you and for Nathan as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live