Priorities


I find that it is so easy for me to get my priorities out of order very quickly. I tend to be an all or nothing type of person and I'll hyper-focus on something to the point that other things get neglected.  The problem with this is that I get frustrated and overwhelmed.

I really wish I didn't struggle with this, but the truth is, I do.  But I am thankful that every now and then the Lord slaps me upside the head and says, "Hold on!"  "Think before you leap."  I'm having one of those "middle of the night" times, which hasn't happened in a while. 

I woke up at 2 a.m. and realized that my daughter's birthday is a day away.  We planned on a party with some of her friends on Saturday and yet, I haven't thought about it, shopped for it or planned anything.  Nathan is truly having a struggle right now and needs assistance with paperwork on quite a few things and yet, I've been putting it off.

Some of that distraction has happened because of my business.  I've been trying to fill orders and build up inventory.  Some of it is because I'm focusing on problems and other people and situations.  And some is because I spend time focused on things which can wait.

God is always in the midst of all my priorities so that is not where I'm having a problem and I am thankful for that.  The problem is how I prioritize other areas.  My priorities should go something like this.

Family
Church/Ministry
Business

What seems to happen lately is this....

Business/Church/Ministry seem to vie for first place, depending on the day, week or month
Family always seems to get pushed down into last place as an after thought.  I do realize that there is always an ebb and flow to life so there will be times when some things take priority over another but I need to be careful to get my order straight again.

So my middle of the night thoughts and prayers have been working on taking a hard look at what is causing this and seeing what I can tweak or cut out to put things back in the proper order.  None of the things I do are bad and some are beneficial, but not all are necessary.

Rather than wallow in my failure, I'm picking myself back up, dusting myself off and getting the priorities back on track.  Remember my word for the year?  Intentional  I just have to remind myself of that.  Hmmmm.......I haven't done a month in review for a while.  Maybe, it's time to relook at those yearly goals again. ;-)

AFTER, I get this party organized and ready! ;-)

Comments