Wednesday Words of Encouragement


John 10:24-29 (NIV) ~

And the people gathered all around him. They said, “How long are you going to keep us guessing? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly!”

Jesus answered:
I have told you, and you refused to believe me. The things I do by my Father’s authority show who I am. But since you are not my sheep, you don’t believe me. My sheep know my voice, and I know them. They follow me, and I give them eternal life, so that they will never be lost. No one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father gave them to me, and he is greater than all others.   No one can snatch them from his hands, and I am one with the Father.

Years ago, Dan & I worked for an inner city ministry.  One of the programs in our ministry was an early learning center for eighty 2-5 year olds.  Often, we would take the children for walks.  When we came to a street and had to cross, we would take them by the hand.  I would take the children I was responsible for with an iron clad grip and would not let go until I knew we were safely across the street.  I didn't want them to wander off the crosswalk.  I didn't want something unimaginable to happen.  They knew better than to try and let go of my hand.

There is a song that I love.  It's entitled, "You Never Let Go."  The image we have is in the midst of life and the middle of our trials, tragedies and triumphs God is holding onto us tightly.  He never lets go of us, even when we don't feel His presence or when we try to wander away from Him.

I love this passage in John.  Jesus tells the people that his sheep know who he is.  They follow him and he gives them eternal life.  But more importantly, he tells them that no one can snatch them out of his hands.  His grip is tight.  His desire to keep hold of us is such that no one or nothing can make him let go.  His hold on us is secure.

When we go through difficulties and trials, we can feel as if God is not there.  We think he doesn't care.  But he does!  He is holding tightly to you.  He will not let you go.  He is right beside you in the midst of the struggles.  We need to relax and trust his grip.  Trust that he knows what you need.  That he has a purpose for you.  He is with you.

Nothing or no one can snatch you away.  His grip is tight.  He will never let go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live