Wishful Thinking


There have been so many times in my life when I wish some situation hadn't happened.  I wish that a particular circumstance was changed.  I wish that things were different.  But I also find that wishful thinking gets me nowhere.

The reality is that bad things do happen.  Problems arise on almost a daily basis.  Circumstances aren't always fair or just or right.  But the more I wish things were different, the more depressed and dissatisfied I feel. 

So I find the better attitude to have is to believe that the Lord is allowing something in my life to stretch me, teach me or cause me to grow closer to Him.  The same is true for my children.  I often want to protect them from bad things or unkind people.  But I do believe that the Lord works in their lives as well. 

I could spend my time wishing that my daughter didn't deal with allergies on a daily basis.  Or I could wish that people treated Nathan with kindness.  I could spend countless hours worrying about how Stephen is going to pay for college.  I could wish that Dan & I had money to help with different issues.

But wishful thinking is such a waste of time.  And it shows very little faith in a God who is bigger than all my problems.


So today I'm going to pray.  I'm going to trust.  I'm going to have faith that the Lord is working in each of these things and that He has a reason for allowing them.  I may not see the reason, but I do trust that He is working all things for our good.

And that is so much better than wishful thinking!

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.