Back to Work

 
 
Yesterday afternoon, we decided to check out a local zoo with the girls and Nathan.  It was a hot day but definitely less humid than Sunday so it was a good day to go.  Nathan bought us lunch there and then we took off to see the different animals.
 
 
 
I do have to say that it was a bit disappointing, but we have been spoiled with the Bronx Zoo.  This is a small one and most of the animals were hiding or sleeping due to the heat. 

 
 
It took us about an hour to walk through the whole thing.
 


 


 
I know it would have been a wonderful place to come if my children were little again.
 
Vacation is officially over so it was back to work yesterday afternoon.  I have a bushel of cucumbers, as well as a bushel of corn to deal with.  My sister gave me about a half bushel of cukes and I bought the rest at a farm stand on Sunday. 
 
 
I made 13 pints of bread and butter pickles yesterday.  Today the plan is to make dill and relish, as well as process the corn. 
 
 
I need to get in the garden and weed.  I also have a couple of custom sewing orders I need to fill, as well as making a few batches of soap. 
 
Hi ho!  Hi ho!  It's back to work I go!
 
Have a wonderful day.

Comments

  1. I think if I were an animal with a furry coat I would prefer to stay out of the heat!
    Could you post your recipe for Bread and butter pickles, please? I don't know what they are, though have heard of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will Barbara. I'm on my way out the door right now so I'll do it a bit later.

      Delete
    2. Hi Barbara! Here you go:

      Bread & Butter Pickles

      Cut into thin rings:
      30 medium unpared cucumbers
      8 medium onions

      Cut into fine strips:
      2 large red or green peppers

      Place vegetables in large bowl or kettle. Dissolve in ice water and pour over:
      1/2 cup salt

      Let stand 3 hours. Drain.

      Combine in a large kettle
      5 cups sugar
      5 cups vinegar
      2 Tbsp. mustard seed
      1 tsp. turmeric
      1 tsp. whole cloves

      Bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables and heat to boiling point, but do not boil veggies. Pack into sterilized jars and process in a water bath for 5 minutes.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Terri. Why the name Bread and butter, I wonder?

      Delete
    4. I believe they got the name "bread and butter" during the great depression when fresh cucumbers were eaten for lunch with bread and butter, and a cheap source of what was considered a vegetable.

      Delete
    5. Thanks! We love cucumber sandwiches.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.