Wild Edibles


I did a bit of research yesterday and discovered that you can make jelly, using Queen Anne's Lace.  I enjoy reading about these types of things and since I had a patch of it growing in the middle of my herb garden, I decided to give it a try while weeding.
 
I did scrutinize it very carefully because it's cousin, poison hemlock, is not something I wanted to feed people.  But it had all the correct markings - the umbrella like flower, a small red flower/dot in the middle, a hairy stem, and it had the distinctive carrot smell.  When you crush the leaves of poison hemlock it lets off a very bad odor which this did not.  So I was good to go.
 
I plucked off the heads of flowers, soaked them in boiling water, then strained and began the jelly making process.  As it simmered, it let off a delightful odor.  It reminds me a bit of lemon and rose water.  When it was finished, I sampled it and it has a very delicate, lemony taste.  I'm so happy my experiment worked.
 

I also have a huge patch of lemon balm, and I had made jelly with it before so I made a batch of that, as well.
 

I also filled a mason jar full of lemon balm and poured apple cider vinegar over the top to make a lemon hair rinse. 

Today's project is to pick some bee balm - both leaves and flowers.  I'll be drying some for future use in salves and soap as it has many medicinal purposes. It is also edible so I'm going to use some leaves to make cranberry-bee balm jelly today.

A friend said to me last night, "Aren't you supposed to be on vacation?"  I love this kind of adventure and it is relaxing.  I don't have to do it.  I'm not racing against the clock.  I'm experimenting and it's fun!

So yes!  I am on vacation. :-)

Comments

  1. Hi Terri! You're being so productive but, having fun; I can relate to that! I was wondering if you have pictures of what the lemon balm and bee balm look like? Someone gave me what they said was bee balm but, I'm not sure it is. Its not anything that's a big deal;no rush at all!! It'd just be nice to have a live picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terri! I'm shocked at all you do!! I was wondering if you could send me a picture of your bee balm and lemon balm. It would be nice to have a real live picture as the ones I've seen aren't real so you can really distinguish them; you know what I mean? Anyway.. NO hurry!! Enjoy checking our your blog and definitely how "normal" you are. And your positive encouragement! Thank You for your willingness to be "open."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I certainly can do that for you. Give me a few days because we are leaving tomorrow for a few days and I'm not sure I'll get to it before then.

      Delete
    2. My newest blog post, A Healing Balm, has a picture of bee balm. Keep in mind it comes in different colors and can be pink or purple too.

      Delete
  3. Terri, if your plant has a black dot in the center of the flower it is Queen Anne's Lace. That black is Queen Anne!! Poisonous Hemlock isn't anything to even touch. It is very poisonous and can kill. We have a farm and it has started here. It is resistant to alot of the week killers. They say not to touch it as it can make extremities numb. If an animal eats it they most likely will die. Your picture looks like Queen Anne's Lace. I just wanted to warn you to make sure you get the right plant. The black dot in the center is the key to watch for. You are so ambitious! I am interested to know what your Queen Anne's Lace jelly tastes.
    God bless, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! It had the black dot. I definitely made sure.

      Delete
    2. It tastes lemony but also reminds me of rose water which I've used in pastry. I like it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.