Fleeting


Psalm 39:4-7 (HCSB) ~

Lord, reveal to me the end of my lifeand the number of my days.
Let me know how short-lived I am.
You, indeed, have made my days short in length,
and my life span as nothing in Your sight.
Yes, every mortal man is only a vapor.
“Certainly, man walks about like a mere shadow.
Indeed, they frantically rush around in vain,
gathering possessions
without knowing who will get them.

Now, Lord, what do I wait for?
My hope is in You.

I've been blogging since 2008 and I've met some wonderful people throughout the years.  With the coming of Facebook, I've been able to develop further friendships there as both myself and my online friends had glimpses into each other's daily lives.  One of these readers and friends is a woman named Fiona.

This morning when I opened up my Facebook page I saw a status update on my wall from Fiona.  But this time it wasn't Fiona talking, but her husband to let everyone know when Fiona's memorial service would be.  Apparently, since the last time she and I had chatted on Facebook a week and a half ago, she had passed away.  I felt incredibly saddened. 

Fiona was my age and a wonderful encouragement.   She always had a kind word to say and regularly let me know she was praying for me. Our last conversation was one where she told me she had just purchased two of my Advent devotionals and how much she was looking forward to them arriving.  I have no idea what happened but I know there is a family reeling across the ocean, and I'm praying for them today.

It reminded me once again that life is fleeting.  You never know when your end will come and to make sure you are putting your faith in Jesus Christ, rather than in meaningless activities or things.  So many times, I race around and get stressed out about details that don't matter in the grand scheme of my life.  Instead, I need to make sure that I'm focusing on what's important.

Fiona loved the Lord.  She lived her life for Him and I know she is rejoicing in heaven today. Her hope was in the Lord.  How about you? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live