Celebrating the Unexpected

Yesterday did not turn out as I had planned. One of our cars decided to go kaput and we dropped it off at the garage on our way out of town. We were taking the other two cars with us - the boys in one and Dan, Emily and myself in the other.  We were an hour and a half into our drive to drop Emily off at college and then go on another 2 hours to Dan's parents.  However, we stopped a rest stop to discover that Emily had forgotten her purse at home.  It included her dorm room keys, her wallet, glasses and Epipen. So it wasn't something she could go without for a bit.

So the boys went on to Dan's parents with Nathan's car while we turned around and drove back home to get the purse.  My knee had already been bothering me that day and by the time we got home, I knew there was no way it was going to make it another 5 hours. So I ended up just staying home.

I was not a happy camper.  I don't like it when I have to sleep alone and last night was worse because I was the only one in the house.  I was up at 12:30, 3, 4, 6 and finally woke up at 8. I'm not normally one to be scared, but sleeping by myself in the house with no cars in the driveway made me nervous. There have been a series of break-ins around the area and my mind thought, "Great!" "They will see no cars and think no one is home."

Then I woke up this morning to find a dead mouse in our mouse trap.  Of course, it would pick today to go in there so I have to deal with it.  It's pouring rain and dreary, and a roofer showed up to look at the roofs so I got dressed instead of hanging out in my pjs for a bit.  Ugh!

And I'm thinking, "I'm supposed to find things to celebrate?" It would be very easy to spiral downwards very fast.

But YES!  Today is a day to celebrate.  Why? I'm awake and in good health. I have a family who loves me and a roof over my head.  There are lots of reasons to celebrate.  I decided to list some today.

🎜I got to spend a few hours with a friend yesterday, fabric shopping. We had fun chatting on the hour ride there and back and I got great deals!

🎜Emily discovered the missing purse when she did and not when she got all the way to Buffalo.

🎜Other than my initial not happy reaction, I got over it very quickly and made sure Emily knew it was okay.  I mean it was an accident.  She didn't deliberately leave the purse and staying upset wasn't going to change anything.

🎜Everyone made it to their destinations safely. The boys made it to Grandmas and Dan ended up spending the night at Emily's dorm because he was so tired and it was pouring rain.  He just texted me a little while ago, saying he made it to his parents.

🎜We have coffee.  Lots and lots of coffee. ;-)

🎜The roofer did not need me to come and unlock the church so I didn't have to scramble next door before I even had my first cup of coffee.

🎜My neighbor across the street was home so if I needed something she was there.  (She was supposed to be away this week but is home sick instead).

🎜I have an entire day with no where to go and no way to get there and can sew, sew, sew! I also got a head start because I cut some things out last night.

🎜I get a break from cooking today since no one is home.

and finally....

🎜I have a sense of humor and generally, a joyful spirit that can find things to celebrate! I am thankful that I don't stay down long.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live