Science

Currently, the children and I are studying body systems in science. I use KONOS, which is a Christian, unit study curriculum that focuses on character traits. So for example, when we studied the character trait of inquisitiveness, we also looked at scientists because they demonstrated this trait. When looked at the character trait of courage, we studied the American Revolution for 12 weeks. It really is an excellent curriculum and the kids love the activities.

I don't happen to have the third volume of KONOS which contains the systems of the body (can't afford it right now) so we are just using library books. We wrapped up the skeletal system last week and are now on the circulatory system. One thing that I always think is so neat is how the Lord provides all our needs. Last June, our church had a tag sale. Someone asked me if I could use a microscope and of course, I said "yes". They gave it to me for free and I never really paid to much attention to it until this past Fall. I discovered that it actually is a school quality microscope and came with the slides and all types of gadgets!

Anyway, today I sacrificed myself for my children and used one of Nathan's needles to prick my finger to obtain a drop of blood to view under the microscope. Aren't I such a giving mother? LOL!

First we read about the circulatory system and did some experiments such as watching our veins flatten out, taking our pulse and blood pressure.
Photobucket

Then we looked at my blood through the microscope. We saw the donut shaped red blood cells.
Photobucket

We still aren't sure about the white blood cells. I think we need a bit more power.
Photobucket

Okay, this is embarrassing but as a stellar public school graduate, I did not know that your blood only turns red when oxygen hits it. The blood that travels down through your body is actually bluish-purple. I don't know what I learned in school!
Photobucket

Anyway, we learned a lot together and had fun doing it!

Comments

  1. Terri, Looks like you had an interesting day. We are a little weak in science (not my favorite subject) but i'm working on it! This is the time of year I start researching new curriculums, and try to make our schooling better :)Have a great day
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerri, I'm thinking of using Apologia for science next year since Stephen will be in 9th grade. I've heard very good reviews about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what would be the greatest thing about Homeschooling as a parent is that as you are teaching your children, you are also learning more things yourself. It seems when your young, you didn't always make the effort you should have and have forgotten so much. So when your teaching your children, it is also like a refresher course to you and as adult sometimes your much more interested than you were as a child. Good job, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Honey :) Laura in VA again :) I bought the Apologia for Dallas this year...so far so good! The first module is a bit rough...all the history, so we honestly skimmed most of that ;) But the experiments are fun, and the whole years worth of supplies are listed...all I needed was red cabbage and some other silly thing. Nothing expensive, and nothing hard to find ;) I really appreciated that. I found mine at the local hs bookstore new with the test/answer book for $38.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri, you are a superwoman! I got woozy just reading this post. I'm afraid that if I pricked my finger for my children they might have to pick me up off the floor! Can you email me and tell me how much the Konos curriculum is? I've been hearing about so many different curriculum, and I like what I have, but am always open to checking out other ones. We use the ACE curriculum. This is our first year homeschooling and my son is in the 2nd grade. My email address is aprillepraise@peoplepc.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.