Standardized Tests







www.allposters.com

It's a stressful week in our household due to the thing that I hate most - standardized tests. New York State law states that homeschoolers in grades K-8 must submit a standardized test every other year. In grades 9-12 it's every year.

The problem with this law is that I have a 9th grader who has learning disabilities and his levels are all over the place. We are doing 5/6th grade math. He is at about a 5th grade reading level. Writing and spelling skills are even lower. So Nathan is taking the 9th grade Iowa Standardized Test and basically does not know anything he is being tested on.

He does have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) so there are modifications I can do with him. For example, I can read most of the test to him, except vocabulary and reading comprehension. However, even reading it is not going to help him with the math portion.

A friend of ours who is a special education teacher in the public school was expressing her frustration as well. She said it's a horrible feeling to watch these students taking a test on material that they don't know.

Anyway, pray for us this week. We can sure use it! Next week I'm testing Stephen & Emily but they will be a lot easier.

Comments

  1. Phew, that does sound stressful Terri. My son is in the middle of his exams at school right now too. Will pray for you,

    Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need one of those "bang head here posters" today! Our building is being sanded down with some kind of machine right behind me!

    I gave you an award! Check out yesterday's post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really tough. I hope everything turns out all right. Can they make your son enter mainstream school if he doesn't do well enough in the tests?

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, they won't do that. He has an IEP and we have a good relationship with the school. Actually, because he just turned 17, I don't need to file with the school system for him anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know standardized testing can be stressful for you and for Nathan. I always told my special ed kids not to worry about it at all- to answer any questions they knew and don't stress the rest. :-) The scores aren't going to be an accurate reflection of his ability anyway!

    Leah
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/lcourtneymom/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just want you to know that I will be praying!

    Blessings,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will certainly Pray, Terri!! Hope I'm not too late since this is the first that I have read any blogs since last Thursday and this is Wednesday a week later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.