Tomatoes!

I love tomatoes and one of my disappointments in moving was the fact that I left my garden behind. However, my mother-in-law gave me a bag of tomatoes before we left. Someone from our church stopped by yesterday with another bag and another lady gave me a pile of plum tomatoes.

So this morning I got to do one of my favorite things and can tomatoes.

Mmmmmm, mmmmm, good!
Photobucket

Someone gave me this contraption a few summers ago and it makes canning so much easier.
Photobucket

You clamp it to your table and put the tomatoes in the top.
Photobucket

You push them with the wooden thingy and the juice comes out one end.
Photobucket

The skin and seeds come out the other.
Photobucket

I ended up with two pots of tomato sauce.
Photobucket

The final result!
Photobucket

It took me 3 hours start to finish but it was worth it!

Comments

  1. Good job Terri! I love that handy contraption you have!! I have more apples piling up waiting for me :)

    I hope you have a great day,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have so enjoyed canning this year!! I have canned bread and butter pickles and made and canned homemade salsa!! Enjoy my friend!!~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty Terri.We love tomatoes.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canning is one thing I never learned how to do. I may have to though as just three tomato vines have produced abundantly!!

    I'm sure you'll enjoy that sauce this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you Terri! It looks SO good!!!
    hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great contraption! Looks like fun! (to start with, and then it gets messy and time-consuming, huh?) lol!

    love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh I wish I lived close enough to borrow your gadget! :) I have tomatoes coming out my ears!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terri, this looks so COOL! It must be really great to be able to do this kind of thing. I have no idea how to do any canning at all! I'm sure that three hours certainly feels worth it when you're opening up one of those jars during the winter! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm doing that too, but without a machine. The tomatoes do get peeled, by me, then flung into a big pan with shallotts and basil and a bit of tomato puree. Then they bubble slowly away till it is reduced. Then into the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your jars of tomatoes are beautiful. Its amazing how the Lord will provide what we give up for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! I have that same contraption. I'd love to make some apple sauce this fall!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tomato sauce looks really good, Terri!

    Doesn't it feel good to see the results of your labor and know that that sauce is going to taste real good this winter?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.