Success!


Nathan struggles everyday of his life with his learning disabilities. He really can grasp different concepts very well but the mechanics of reading, writing, spelling and math are so difficult. He reads at about a 5th grade level and his writing and spelling skills are much, much lower.

For math, we've been using Math-U-See and while I love the program and he loves it and is learning, he fails almost every test. It's okay because it's just part of his learning disability and he usually fails them because of recall issues. He'll set up the problems great and understands how to set them up but will make mistakes in multiplying or adding or something like that. Using a calculator for tests has helped some but his test scores range from 30s to 60s.

Anyway, he was so excited and proud of himself because he finally made it into the pre-algebra book in MUS. This is far beyond what he would get in p.s. In the high school special education classes in public school, they only do consumer math.

He just finished up chapter 4 and took the test. Do you know that on the last 4 tests he has gotten a 95, 90, 90 and 80?! And that, my friends, is without the use of the calculator! I didn't let him use it for these tests because the tests were on adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing negative numbers. It's more an issue of which sign to use.

Anyway, he is so proud of himself and his self-confidence has shot through the roof. I'm hoping we can keep up the good work. I'm encouraged too!

I just thought I'd share my good news with you all.

Comments

  1. That is so encourahging Terri. As an ex teacher of SEN children I know that there is always a solution to a problem, even if it means going the long way round. Well done Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is past WONDERFUL! Hope he got a pizza party out of it-LOL.

    We love MUS. Wish I had tried it years ago.

    Karen in TN

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is sooo wonderful, Nathan!! Good job!
    Terri, you are such a patient, loving Mom. You're children are blessed as I'm sure you are blessed by them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Done Nathan!!! I am soooo proud of you!! We've always known you could do it :o)

    Terri...I can't imagine how you feel...I hope you hold onto this feeling for times in the future when you're just not sure if you're doing enough ;)

    Love You Honey,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Nathan!! So happy for you, it must be a great feeling to know he is building his self confidence as it seems to be helping him with his tests!:0) I used to fail my tests all the time in school because I would get so nervous I would forget everything!God Bless!!~Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Nathan! Wow that is such a turn around. I bet you all are very proud. Keep up the good work Nathan.........and you too Terri!
    (((((((hugs)))))))))

    Mandi
    www.weareblessedathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work Nathan! This must be so encouraging for both of you! A special homeschool accomplishment for sure! Thanks for sharing your success!

    Blessings to you,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nathan that is so wonderful! Horrah for you. I am so proud of you and you surely can be proud of yourself. Way to go!!!

    Love,

    Grandma

    PS You are a great teacher, Terri and I know this must be so encouraging to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful! Way to go, Nathan!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is wonderful news Terri!! Woo hoo!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.