Possibilities

Photobucket

Look what Nathan came home with last night. He joined the volunteer fire department about a month ago on his own initiative. A friend from school is a junior firefighter and ever since he was little, Nathan has loved fire trucks and anything to do with firefighting.

Since he is 18 he is considered an adult so when he went to fill out the paperwork, he had to do it all there. In fact, I have no clue what happens when he is there. Of course, it gives me an unsettled feeling since I have been so involved in his life for so long. However, Dan keeps encouraging me and reminding me that even with his disabilities, he has to learn how to manage on his own.

But, going into burning buildings? As a mother, the things that go through my mind are, "Do they know he has asthma?" "What about the autism spectrum?" "It takes him a while to process things?" "He has major learning disabilities." "How is he ever going to pass the exams if he wants to pass certain courses."

I look at all the problems, yet I am reminded that God looks at the potential. Where I see disabilities, God sees possibilities. Aren't you glad the Lord looks past our weaknesses and sees the potential we all have? I am humbled to see how he is working in Nathan's life even through the things the world sees has barriers. It makes me ashamed of my lack of faith sometimes.

Dan did a funeral last week and ran into a friend who is also a volunteer firefighter. He assured Dan that they would not let new volunteers do anything dangerous until they had the proper training. Right now, he basically is going to be directing traffic or other small jobs.

Last night, Nathan started his training and absolutely loved it! If this works out, once he turns 21 if he can pass the civil service exam along with other various courses, he could actually do this for a living.

It's amazing to see how he compensates for his learning disabilities and yet still is retaining the information. I think a lot has to do with this being something he is passionate about.

Anyway, I'm proud of him and wanted to share the possibilities for Nathan's future that the Lord has provided!

Comments

  1. This is wonderful Terri! Not only because Nathan has this new opportunity in his life, but that it is also strengthening your faith too. (he looks great in the photo...it really suits him!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased for Nathan. I understand your worries Terri - but look how far you have all travelled these past few months. It looks to me like God is in charge and he's telling you to sit back and enjoy the ride :) Rest and let Him carry you all forward.
    Much love to you Terri.
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praising God with you at all the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for Nathan, he is really taking life by the hand and shaping it for himself. I understand your worries Terri, I would be the same, but I'm sure the other men are aware and sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud of Nathan too. He is doing what he wants to do. He is a wonderful person and has alot to offer. God bless him and his future. Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome Terri! How exciting to see all that God can do! Thanks for sharing with us so we can rejoice with you!

    Sweet blessings!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Nathan! Although it must be hard as his mother, I know you must be very proud of him!
    God will watch over him and guide him!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Terri!

    I am happy that your son is joining the vfd. My son also joined the vfd. We actually live too far from the nearest dept for him to get there in time to get on the truck, so he finally let it go after a couple of years. It was a good experience for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how great for Nathan!! He looks so good in his firefighters gear.

    I think that it is wonderful that he is seeking this out for himself and I think it is so good for him to do this on his own.

    God is in control and you are so right, Terri that God looks at things differently than we do and we have a lot more potential than we could possibly know.

    If we put our trust in God, He can do amazing things in our lives. I know Nathan has wonderful potential when he puts his life in God's hands and trusts in god.

    Also how can Nathan fail when he has a mother who loves him so much and is always in his corner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How proud you and Dan must be!! I haven't had a child "grow up" yet since my oldest is only 13 but I know it's just around the corner. How scary... and yet, I know that God has a plan for each and every one of my children. It's exciting to see how God is working in your family and in Nathan!!

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.