Ups and Downs

I usually try to keep this blog upbeat and about positive things. There are days though when I get pretty down. Today has been one of those days.

Nathan has come home from school the past few days, pretty down and depressed. He is in a special education class that includes 9-12th graders. There are 8 teens altogether in his class. Their disabilities range from autistic spectrum disorder to some fairly serious emotional and behavioral problems.

Apparently, a girl who is the ringleader and a few other teens are telling him he is ugly, obnoxious, weird and no one likes him. Of course, with Nathan's autistic disorder he views everything in extremes. So we try to talk him through it and get to the bottom of who it is. We have to ask him questions like, "Is it all of the kids or just one or two?" "Does this happen in every single class or certain ones?" "What are you saying or doing that may trigger this?"

I did email both teachers to make them aware of it and asked if Dan & I could meet with them. I try to stay matter of fact and positive with Nathan, but I do have to say it makes me sad. He is really such a pleasant boy who tries so hard to please. He wants friends and he just wants to fit in, yet even in a class of other children who have problems, he is at the bottom of the pack.

So, if you think of it, would you please pray for him? Pray for me as well! My mother's heart can only take so much of this because I just want to see him happy.

Okay, I promise I won't dwell on the negative in every blog post. Just like I have down days, I know I'll have up days coming too.

Comments

  1. Dear Terri,

    I know as a mom that must be very hard for you!
    I will be praying for your family!

    God Bless!

    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri this breaks my heart! I used to work with the special needs children when I was in high school and they hold a very special place in my heart, I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this for him, you all are in my prayers!~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Terri,
    I am sending you a big hug. (((((((((((((()))))))))))))))).
    I so understand. Don't mess with my children. LOL
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tears in my eyes. Kids can be so cruel. Nathan is a nice looking boy. I have taught in high school and know how kids can treat others so badly. Yes, I will pray for him and for you. God bless you both. Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Terri...Hugs to you! I will be praying for you and Nathan!

    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Terri, my heart goes out to you. I am definitely praying for you all. God bless, love, Tina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry Terri. I can't imagine the pain you are experiencing. I will be praying for you and your whole family. As you said in your latest post I also agree how hard life would be without Christ!

    Blessings, Mari Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Terri, I am so sorry that Nathan is having this happen to him. We will surely pray that this will pass soon and that he will learn how to roll with the punches. That, too, is a life skill. Children can be so hurtful and cruel but unfortunately those who do these things are usually hurting children, too! Maybe you could explain that to Nathan but I'm sure you already have.

    Keep looking up and tell Nathan that we love him and think that he is special.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this has to be so hard for you. I will certainly be praying.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live