Bittersweet

Photobucket

It's hard when your children grow up and start to fly the nest. I love these different stages in my children's lives, but I don't go through them without a certain amount of anxiety.

For Emily, a lot of my anxiety has to do with the fact that we've dealt with so many serious health issues with her allergies. If she just touches peanuts, peanut butter or walnuts she stops breathing. So I've always been tense in certain situations which are beyond my control.

However, as she gets older she is much better able to handle the food allergies. She knows to check things before she eats them. She has been begging us for a long time to let her go to camp. So this summer we finally took the plunge and drove her to camp today. She is at our denomination's Bible camp and I know that she will be well cared for.

There is a nurse on staff. They are aware of the severity of her allergies. The counselor in her cabin has used an epipen before. They don't have peanuts or peanut butter as part of the food for the week. It was time to let her go and be a normal kid for a change.

I do have to say that I felt sad and nervous as I said goodbye. It's going to be a long, long week!

Comments

  1. She's going to have such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would feel just the same Terri. Sadly we have to let them go, and she is in the right place with caring people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Terri. At least you have taken the plunge and let her go. The Lord will take care of her, and it sounds as if everything has been put in place too. She will have a wonderful time...keep busy and you'll soon have her home again. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. I KNOW how much she'll be missed. This parenting thing is hard. And scary. I didn't realize that she had such severe allergies.

    I'm sure she'll have the time of her life, but she'll be ready to be back home by the weekend. Stay busy- it helps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.