Struggling, though Determined

Photobucket

Nathan is in a class that is actually a precursor to Firefighter I, one of the classes he would have to take to be a paid firefighter. It's been meeting the past few weeks and it moves fast. After a week and a half they had a mid-term, which he failed. Tonight is the final exam.

He has severe learning disabilities and after much debate, I did email the instructor to let him know about it. In the public school system, Nathan has testing accommodations.

The instructor has been very nice and went over the mid-term with Nathan to show him where his mistakes were. I believe that they are going to have someone read the test to him tonight, which is one of his accommodations.

This has been a hard class for him. He is great with the hands on activities, but reading, writing, spelling and math are things that he struggles with. He has a very low processing speed and working memory. This makes learning difficult. I have been trying to read the book to him, but I can see that he struggles to retain it. Also, some of the problem is that the class moves so fast since it's only about 4 weeks long and they only meet 2-3 days per week. They are cramming a lot of material into a short amount of time.

I would really appreciate your prayers for Nathan, especially as he takes this exam tonight. He will not be able to get into the next class without passing this one.

Comments

  1. Terri, I will pray that Nathan has a real breakthrough tonight. You did the right thing by letting them know of his problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our prayers are with Nathan.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall be praying this evening that he stays calm and answers well - I think he would be a fab firefighter :)
    Much love to you all, Terri.
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope all goes well for Nathan's test. I will be praying for him! :)

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. We will be praying for Nathan that the Lord will be with him while he's taking this test and will help him to focus.

    I too think that it was wise to let them know about Nathan's stuggles.

    He is to be praised for his hard work and his willingness to do anything that is asked of him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, praying right now. Let us know how Nathan gets on. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live