Spice it Up!



I have a confession.


I am a spice addict! I crave them. I can't live without them. I can barely choke down food that hasn't been flavored with them.

There. I feel better already. :-)

Seriously though, we love spices around here. I can't imagine cooking without them and yet so many people seem to have just a few. I was thinking about it today and decided to take a look in my spice cupboard and see how many I had.

I was surprised to find as many as I did. Even though I have a lot, I use all of them on a regular basis.

We have:

Cinnamon
Ginger
Nutmeg
Ground Cloves
Whole Cloves
Allspice
Fennel Seed
Anise Seed
Cumin
Basil
Oregano
Marjoram
Rosemary
Thyme
Sage
Turmeric
Crushed Red Pepper
Chili Powder
Ground Red Pepper
Tandoori Seasoning
Curry Powder
Old Bay Seasoning
Onion Powder
Minced Onion
Paprika
Bay Leaves
Shallot Salt
Lemon Pepper
Whole Peppercorns
Sea Salt
Mustard Powder
Poultry Seasoning
Caraway Seed
Yellow Mustard Seed
Celery Seed
Parsley Flakes
Ground Coriander
Garlic Powder
Chinese Five Spice Powder

On top of that, I have a few extracts and oils:

Vanilla (I make my own)
Almond
Rose water
Peppermint Oil
Spearmint Oil
Lemon Oil
Orange Oil

Over the years, I have found it much more economical to make my own. They are also healthier because they don't have all the additives.

I make the following:

Taco Seasoning
Sloppy Joe Seasoning
Poultry Seasoning
Shake-n-Bake Seasoning
Emeril's "Bam" Seasoning

I guess it's true what they say, "Variety is the spice of life!"

Comments

  1. Wow Terri! I would be interested in how you make your vanilla. I have the real stuff from the Dominican, and use a lot of it. I've seen recipes using the vanilla bean to cook. Love your blog and am wondering if there is anything you don't do. :) HAHA Proverbs 31 woman comes to mind!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the link, Jody: http://heartsinservice.blogspot.com/2009/03/vanilla-extract.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of spices. I have a lot of the same but don't seem to use them on a regular basis like you do. Maybe that's because there is only two of us. Have a great day, Terri.

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, Terri...I might use two or three of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! I love this post! I, too, am addicted to spicy flavors. They are my favorites. :-)
    Lv,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like spices too, but am not as well stocked as you! I bet lots of mine are old. I bet your family loves your cooking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep a fair amount of spices, but not as many as you. The only one I really don't like is rosemary (is that a herb or a spice) because it tastes like pine needles. Ick!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.