Last night I took a recipe a friend gave me, tweaked it and made Moroccan style butternut squash soup and it was tasty.
(Excuse the soup running down the side of the bread bowl. We had started eating before I remembered I didn't take a picture!)
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in 3/4" dice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 quarts chicken stock
2 tsp cumin
1 t ground coriander
1/2 t chile powder
1/2 t sweet paprika (smoked is fine)
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t ginger
scant 1/4 t cayenne
pinch ground cloves
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Saute the onion in olive oil.
2. Add the squash and chicken stock, along with the spices.
3. Simmer until the squash is soft.
4. Puree the squash in a food processor or blender until smooth and return to the pot.
5. Add the heavy cream and simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly.
I served it in homemade bread bowls, but you can just use a regular bowl if desired.