A New Chapter

Photobucket

My stomach has been churning all day. Ever since I received a phone call from Nathan's guidance counselor this morning.

To back up a bit, I posted a few weeks ago about Nathan not fitting in and getting teased in his classes. "You are so weird." "Why do you talk so funny?" "I can't understand you." "Why are you in this class?" "You are too old to be here." "What are you? Autistic or something.?" :-(

The solution we initially came up with was to drop the class that this was happening in the most. I've been driving Nathan to school later and he starts his day with his third period class.

However, he still has been very unhappy. He wants to be done with school. Dan & I have been torn and pretty much told him that he was going to have to stick it out for the rest of the year. I mean, at least he would have one year of the culinary class under his belt. He would have some sort of occupational experience to try and find employment with.

He is 20 1/2 and hanging with men at the firehouse. Yet, every day he has to make his way back into school with 15-17 year olds. It's tough.

Back to the phone call. "Mrs. Groh, we are concerned about Nathan." "We received a phone call from a parent who knows him and is worried because he seems depressed and they are afraid he might hurt himself." WHAT???????

We had a long talk with Nathan today. Suicidal? Absolutely not. But he is down. He is depressed about his life. He wants to move on.

So after phone calls back and forth between his old school and the new school, he will be officially done with high school this week. His old school will be mailing him his diploma in a few weeks, after approval from the Board of Education; a formality.

His face lit up. He has been talkative. He is making plans for his life. He is happy again.

Dan and myself. We are not so sure. We're not positive that we should be starting a new chapter.

But God has a plan for Nathan so we are content with that for right now. If you think of us, please pray for us. Mothering a special needs child is difficult. I feel so inept for this job and I need encouragement.

Comments

  1. Dear Terri,

    Please know that I am keeping Nathan and your family in my prayers.
    Lean on God for guidance and direction...I am sure He has wonderful plans for your son!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri you are doing a great job!! Nathan is a product of yours and Dan's parenting, he has come so far and is looking forward, he could only do that with the great support and love you give him!! I pray God will give you all insight into what He has planned for him!! God Bless!!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may feel that way about mothering right now, but God also had a plan for you in giving you Nathan...so it's a fit even if it doesn't feel like it right now. And I KNOW parenting a Nate hurts sometimes. Honest I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri, my heart hurts for you. God will bless Nathan. God will help you and your husband guide Nathan to what He has planned for him. You and your husband are special people and God trusted you both to take care of Nathan. You all will be in my prayers.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be praying for you and Dan. Be still and know that I am God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri~ I can only imagine how hard it must be. I have two sons - 19-21 years old. And I totally understand that it is a hard job - even when our kid are grown. Really I think it is harder. When they are young we have control but when they are grown- we don't - we just sit back and have to deal with the decisions that they make. And for you- dealing with a special needs young adult I can not even imagine how hard that would be. You will be in my prayers. God will guide you and give you the strength and courage needed.
    Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terri, you are a wonderful Mom, don't ever doubt it. The Lord loves Nathan even more deeply than you do, and is holding onto him very tightly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nathan is a very fortunate young man to have parents like you and Dan who love him very much. I know how hard it is on you both but God knew what he was doing in giving Nathan to you both.

    You both are great parents and I know that God has a plan for Nathan and will lead you in the path that you are to follow.

    We are praying for you all.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live