Monday, January 7, 2013

Sound Bites

IMG_8864

This brave new world of the internet and technology can be such a wonderful thing, can't it?  We connect with people that we never would have met prior to the world wide web.  I've met so many wonderful people through blogging and other sites.

Over the past few years, I've enjoyed getting reconnected with friends from afar and extended family via the social media, Facebook.  That medium has helped me make new friends, connect with old ones, keep in touch with family, do some crafting business, and also provides me with a bit of social interaction during the day.

However, there are times when I get frustrated with it.  One of the biggest problems I can see is the tendency to live your life in sound bites.  When you are giving snippets of information about your day, it's easy to be misunderstood, misinterpreted, misrepresented, or misread.

When you post a status update here or there, without clarification, it's hard to always get the big picture about a person's thoughts on an issue.  When you are posting pictures of the wonderful parts of your life, it looks like everything is rosy and beautiful.


Blogging is a bit less time consuming for me because I can think about something I want to journal as I work on other things.  I then can write it and walk away.  I can comment on others blogs or my own when I have time.  Facebook is instant and much more fast paced.  It provides constant, ongoing feedback which can be a lure for me.

I want to keep my mind and heart present in my "reality" and not just through the virtual world of my computer.  Time can get away from me and what I think is just a few minutes here or there can add up very quickly.  The past few days I've been trying to pull back a bit and spend much less time there.

IMG_8849

One day I'm going to have to give an account of my life.  I'm not sure I want to stand before the Lord and say, "I had a lot of great status updates!"  lol  I don't want to look back and regret the time I spent staring at a computer screen, while my family sat in another room.  I want to make sure I'm fully engaged in the here and now.

IMG_8871

I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  I do think that social media has a place. I love that I can stay in touch with my family and friends in an instant.  However, I know that it's pull can be strong for me.  It is one of those things where I have to work hard at being disciplined and ruthless in managing my time there.

I don't mind spending bits of time online, but definitely don't want my life to become one of ongoing sound bites.