Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!

I realize that my blog posts have been a bit on the "heavy" side this week.  Generally, I don't get a lot of comments on the serious ones but I've been really mulling and musing and thinking this week so I hope you can handle one more! ;-)  My feeling is that God has laid this on my heart for a reason so someone must need to hear it.

James 2:14-17 ~ 

What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?

So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

Do you put your money where your mouth is?  In other words, so many Christians I know talk a really good game.  They are all about faith and love and serving the Lord but when it really comes down to putting their words into action, they are blowing out a lot of hot air.  And you know what?  I'm just as guilty as the next person!

The title of my blog is "Hearts in Service" and my theme verses are Philippians 2:3-4.  Yet so often I'm selfish and stingy and downright ugly about really wanting to give of my time and energies.  I don't want to be like this but can slip into it from time to time.

Want some examples of this type of thing?

► How many times do we tell someone we'll pray for them, but never really do?  Or we spend less than 5 minutes breathing out a quick prayer.

► How often have we seen someone with a physical need and ignored it?

► How many times do we know someone who is struggling with depression and loneliness and refuse to give of our time and have them over?

► How often do we quantify how much we'll actually help someone?  "I'll invite them this one time but that's it."  

► Are we really in tune to the Holy Spirit?  If you see someone broken down on the side of the road how often do you stop to help?

► Are we constantly asking the Lord to open our eyes and see others as He does and then do something tangible to reach out to them?

James spends a lot of time talking about these things.  If we say we have faith then our actions should indicate that.  We are not saved by our actions, but it should happen naturally as a result of the fact that we are followers of Jesus Christ.

Make sure you put your money where your mouths is!  Walk your talk.  Live out your faith by pouring out your lives for others! 

Comments

  1. Amen Terri! Big hugs for reminding us all about what really counts. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.