Friday, October 31, 2014

Frugal Friday: Break those Chains


Samuel Johnson ~

"The chains of habit are too strong to be felt until they are too strong to be broken"


Living simply is all about creating habits and the same can be said of overspending.  Habits are definitely hard things to break but must be done if we want to be frugal.  It's much easier to start out on the right foot then trying to reinvent ourselves. 

But, it can be done.  It's about choices.  It's about thinking before you spend.  It's about making your emotions wait long enough for your head to catch up!

"Do I need this expenditure right now?"  "Am I trying to fill an emotional void by shopping?"  "Can I wait a few days to see if I can find this somewhere else?"  "What is coming up so I can give myself time to find the best deal?"

That last question is where we often get into trouble.  We don't take the time to plan ahead.  We purchase impulsively and because we haven't looked forward in advance to see what things are coming up that will require us to buy something.

Habits.  They say it takes 30 days to make or break a habit.  Let's work together to break the bad habits of spending and create new ones of being wise in our financial choices.


Some of the ways I saved/earned this week:

$ I bought a huge head of local grown cabbage and made my own sauerkraut.  It's on the counter fermenting and in a few days will be sealed and processed.

$ I stayed out of the craft stores! ;-)

$ Our car is having a major issue and after thinking and praying about it, rather than sink more money into it which would have to be on credit, we are in the process of selling it.  That will bring us back down to 1 car but for now, that is the thing we need to do to keep from going into more debt.  We've had more problems with the car since we acquired it and so we felt the smart thing to do would be to get rid of it.

$ I had to make a difficult decision about something which I can't share now, but will save a us a huge amount of money.

$ Emily is having a few friends over tonight for a harvest party and rather than spend a ton on food, I'm coming up with some fun and frugal things to do - make their own pizza, make their own apple pie, a fall craft for teens, and a good old fun scavenger hunt.

$ I planned ahead and have had dinner thought out and prepared for the days I've worked so I'm not tempted to go out to eat.

$ I dropped off some more cards at a local gift store (not my own) where they've been selling.  The manager of the store asked for more.

$ I have my Christmas gifts planned out.  Since I make a lot of them, I checked to make sure I had the fabric on hand and supplies that I need and I'm good with what I have.

$ I don't limit my business to just my store.  In fact, the majority of my sewing/crafting happens through either Etsy or personal business.  I have my craft items on my Etsy shop and the books and gift items on my website (tabs above).

That's it for this week.  Work on breaking those habits and creating new ones!