Frugal Friday



Abraham Maslow ~

Appreciate again and again, freshly and naively,
the basic goods of life, with awe,
pleasure, wonder and even ecstasy,
however stale these experiences may have become to others.

As I spent the day in my kitchen on Wednesday, preparing food, I realized how content and happy I was.  There was this wonderful joy I felt deep down that came from coming up with a meal with what I had in my cupboards.

I made granola for coming breakfasts.  Cookies for snack.  Then a simple meal of cheesy scalloped potatoes and ham, cornbread, home canned pears and blueberry buckle for dessert.  It was such a simple meal and yet, it was spectacular because it was made with love.  I did it with pleasure, knowing that I was feeding my family as well as a friend who was going through a tough time.  I took great joy in the fact that I knew exactly what was in it, I was preparing it from what I had on hand and it was tasty and tasteful looking.

Simple living can bring about great pleasure.  When I don't have to worry about keeping up with the Jones or having the latest whatever, I can truly appreciate the little things I have.  And that brings great satisfaction and joy.  Try and look at your daily routine, as well as the sights and sounds around you with fresh eyes.  Look at them with new appreciation.  Learn to stop and just enjoy each moment for itself.

That is the purpose of frugal and simple living.  Living in the moment and enjoying the little things in life.

This week I saved money in the following ways:

$ The local farmer's market I go to has a rack of fruits and vegetables that are marked down because of blemishes are they are getting too ripe.  I always check that out first.  This week I got 6 large green peppers for $2.  Three of them had a couple of spots on them.  So I came home, cut them up (getting rid of the spots) and put them in a storage bag in the fridge. 

$ I got a discount on some vegetable plants because they were older and came home, planted them and they are doing well.

$ I bought a large pineapple at Aldi for $1.99.  The local farmer's market had a very small one for $3.99 so I got more for my money and saved $2.00.

$ I wanted to give the ladies in my study a gift to help them remember the theme so I went shopping from my stash of soaps and craft items.

$ I've been using vinegar to clean.  I still use Clorox Cleanup once a week in the bathrooms or also, if there is some sort of virus going around.  But the rest of the week I have a spray bottle of vinegar and water and it works great.

$ I planted a number of herbs in my garden and go out there to get what I need.  I love fresh herbs but they are expensive and go bad so quickly.  Now I can go outside and clip basil, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, savory, parsley and chives.

I think that's it this week.  I love doing my best to save money. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live