Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Romans 12:2 ~

Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.


New habits, new attitudes, new reactions and new words.  When we say we follow Christ, we are called to change.  To experience a metamorphosis.  To shed those old skins.
 
Yet so often we stay in the old patterns.  Patterns of unkindness.  Patterns of discontent.   We continue with the same pattern of impatience, jealousy, anger, and a host of other behaviors that end up harming not only those around us, but ourselves.
 

I want to fully live.  I don't want to keep responding in the old, slow, caterpillar way.  I want to morph into a butterfly.  I want to spread my wings.  I want to fly.  But that will only happen if I shed that old skin.  It will happen if I listen when the Holy Spirit convicts me of sin.  But then I have to actually do the hard thing and change.

God doesn't reach down and make me do it.  A miracle will not happen where I open my mouth and only sweet things come out.  It's an act of my will.  I choose the metamorphosis.  I choose to change.  God offers His help but it's a joint effort.  I actually have to do the right thing.

 
The more we make the right choice, the easier it will get.   With God's help, we can turn into a butterfly and leave that old skin behind.  It's a painful process, but your life can be a wonderful metamorphosis too!