Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Jeremiah 10:23 ~

"I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps." 

Ever since I can remember, I’ve dreamed of doing important things in the world. When I first felt God calling me into the ministry in high school, I had visions of going overseas as a missionary. Other times, I thought that I would be involved in a well-known ministry. I envisioned doing great things for the Lord.

However, the Lord had other plans. Dan & I served for ten years in an inner city that was riddled with drugs, crime and poverty.  It was a place where no one wanted to go, and few knew of our ministry. Then, for the past fourteen years, we've served in small church plants.  And while we love what we do, we will never be known outside our small circle.

At times, it’s easy to feel like we are insignificant, unimportant, and forgotten. Does God not remember that I was supposed to be doing important things? Doesn’t He recall that I was going to do things on a grand scale?

Yet, both of these verses remind me that God has His own plan for our lives. It may not be the path we would choose. It may mean going somewhere and doing something we didn’t envision. It may mean that no one will ever notice. However if we follow Him our lives will have meaning and purpose. If we remain faithful to what He wants for us, we will find peace and contentment.

I’ve come to realize that when we are faithful in the small, mundane, unimportant things it is then that we are doing the greatest work for the Lord. It’s easy to do those things that everyone sees, but what about the tasks that go unnoticed? Can you remain faithful to the Lord there and serve Him with joy even if no one ever offers praise or recognition?

If you are feeling insignificant today, remember that you are important in the Lord's eyes. He created you and all that you do is done for Him. Even if no one else ever notices, the Lord notices! So give your all to the Lord today.