Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Luke 19:28-38 ~

After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them, "Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you untying it?’ say, ‘The Lord needs it.’"

Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them. As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, "Why are you untying the colt?"

They replied, "The Lord needs it."

They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.

When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:

"Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!"
"Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!"


"It's mine!" "It's mine!" "He took my toy!" "She won't share!" When I worked in Kindergarten, I spent much of my day mediating arguments between five year olds who had not yet learned the benefit of sharing with each other. Children often believe the world revolves around them.

Aren't we the same way though? How often do we struggle with the Lord over something He asks of us. "It's mine!" "I don't want to give it up!" I don't want to share!"

As I was reading this account of Palm Sunday in Luke it occurred to me that the owners of the young donkey had to be willing to give up their prized possession to the Lord. When the owners asked the disciples what they are doing to their colt and then heard, "The Lord has need of it." they offered no resistance. There was no guarantee that they would get it back. They were not offered money for it. Yet, they gave of the very thing that helped them make a living.

Do we offer our time, talents and possessions so freely to the Lord? When He requires something of us do we give it willingly or does He have to pry our fingers off of it? I know in my own life, I struggle with this at times. I feel entitled to something I have worked for. I think that it's my right to do what I want with my own time. I believe that I can spend my money any way I please.

Yet, everything we own is from the Lord. Our possessions, our children, our time, our money are all His, though we clutch them so greedily much of the time.

Because the owner was willing to give up his donkey, the Lord was able to use it.  Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a humble beast of burden. That young donkey and it's owners became part of God's plan!

I would encourage you today to pray and evaluate whether you are withholding anything from the Lord.  Ask Him to help you open up your hands, offer it back to Him and give whatever He is asking to be used for His glory.