Wednesday Words of Encouragement

Proverbs 31:16 (AMP) ~

“She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]; with her savings [of time and strength] she plants fruitful vines in her vineyard.”

Weighing the cost is such an important concept and yet, it's not I am always good at remembering to do.  There have been times, I have jumped into a ministry or activity without really thinking it through, or seeing the cost of my time and strength and it's affect on me and my family.

In this verse in Proverbs, the woman mentioned is thinking about how the purchase of this field will impact her other duties. She is thinking about whether she can handle the purchase of this field before she plunges in and buys it.

Do you consider the cost of something before you do it? Do you spend much time in prayer before saying "yes"?  Or do you say, "I'll pray about it" but then never really do?  If you do involve yourself in things, do you find that you neglect your family or your other responsibilities?

It is so easy to jump in to something and think later. There are so many opportunities out there. I can think of about a million things I can do and they would all be really wonderful. However, I’m learning to stop and pray for a few weeks or longer if need be before I make a decision. I’m trying to learn to look at all the consequences of a decision I make and be sure that I’m hearing from the Lord.

As you reflect on this verse today, let's remember to slow down, pray and consider all your options. Make sure that you keep your God given priorities straight before you dive into something new. Let’s make sure we are actually hearing from God and not just our own preferences.  Make sure to weigh the cost.

Comments