A Strong Finish


Many years ago when I was homeschooling, I had a friend who would tell me the importance of finishing strong.  What she meant by that was not to give up, fizzle out or become lethargic as we raised our children.  She was speaking within the context of homeschooling, but I understood that to mean my role as a mother.

There are so many forces fighting against our children nowadays.  Peer pressure, social media, and a host of issues that weren't even present when we were growing up.  Yet, so many parents tend to drop the ball, throw up their hands and give up.

Parenting is such a hard job and it really is easy to give in to laziness and just let the kids do whatever they want.  But, the reward that comes in the end when you persevere is wonderful.  

We've had to talk our children through many situations and problems.  We've also had to learn to let them solve some of these things on their own.  I've had nights of despair, wondering what I could have done differently.  I've had hours of tears as I've worried about my children.  But I've also spent hours in prayer for them.

I've tried to instill values in them and we talk about God often in our house.  What does the Bible teach about a situation?  How should those who call themselves Christians behave? What would the Lord have us do?  It made me laugh the other day when I was worrying out loud about something and Emily said to me, "Did you pray about it?"  

Today is Emily's last day at home.  I wish I had more time with her.  But I know without a doubt that we have equipped her to face the world.  We have taught her well and have finished strong with our children.  Will they make mistakes?  Yep.  Will they make choices that perhaps I'll disagree with?  Probably. 

But I'm trusting God that the values we've instilled in them will stick.  I'm resting in the knowledge that the Lord loves my kids more than I ever could and He is watching out for them.  I'm so very thankful for a strong finish. 

Comments