January 8, 2008 - Tourette's Syndrome













I asked Nathan, as part of his writing assignment today, to write about what it's like to have Tourette's Syndrome. He also is severely dyslexic, was diagnosed with short stature and is on growth hormones, and recently has begun having kidney issues. That's a lot going on in one young man's life. Yet, he handles himself with humor and grace. This is his take on dealing with so much. Feel free to leave a comment because I know Nathan will enjoy reading them!

Nathan writes:

Tourette's Syndrome is very difficult for me. Especially when we go to the doctor and he tells us that there is nothing he can do except give me some pills that might help me not tic so much. Tics can be painful because I don't know when they will happen and I have smashed my hands, arms, legs, and even my head into things when I am having tics.

We homschool and I also have dyslexia. Having Tourette's Syndrome makes writing, math, reading, and spelling that much more difficult and it is frustrating. I have found that if I use my hands like building with legos or playing drums at my church that I feel relaxed and will not tic as much.

I already have dyslexia and take growth hormone shots and now have Tourette's Syndrome. Wow! God must have something big for me.

Sometimes I wish that I was a kid without so many problems but I have found wisdom in God's word. Jeremiah 29:11-13 says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." I have learned that during these past 16 years that God has not abandoned me. Life has no second chances so I have to keep going and believe that God has a plan and purpose for my life. I have to trust and have faith that He will show me His plan.

I hope this helps you understand that if you have problems that faith in Jesus Christ will help you get through the problems.

Comments

  1. Hi Nathan...Mrs. Murphy here. This is the first time I've been on your website and I think it is great! I read your post about Tourette's and I just want you to know I think you are a kind, intelligent and sincere young man with a true heart for God and people in general. I have so enjoyed getting to know you in our Finance class at HS Kids and I have told other moms as much. I have said that I would be thrilled if my son grows up to be like you. I am so glad God continues to use you and give you hope through the hard times. I will pray that you will be healed and that you will be eternally minded. That has always helped me through hard times. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nathan, This is Marybeth I really like your family's blog its a great thing to keep in touch and just say a couple of things. I hope all is going well and it must really be hard to have those promblems but im really glad to see that you have that much faith in God and you have someone special that most people dont have today and that would be having Jesus in your heart..... Well i miss you guys alot and had a really great time when we saw each other and tell Steven and Emily that i said hi!!!! LOVE YA LOTS, and keep trusting in God he will help you and I already think you see that happening!! Looks like your having fun with your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nathan, I hope all is going well! I really do like your family's blog its a good way to keep in touch and just say some words. It really must be hard to go through life with those problems and I'm really glad that you are trusting God and putting your faith in Him. You just keep putting your faith in God because he will be your friend for a lifetime and never let you down. I miss you guys a lot and had a lot of fun with you guys!! Well, tell Emily and Steven that I said hi and your Mom and Dad. LOVE YOU LOTS and keep trusting, and keep in touch with the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Nathan, for allowing us to see into your heart.

    I have a son who has something called neurofibromatosis. It doesn't cause as many problems, as of yet, as yours, but it is very random and unpredictable. Right now, he has a severe case of scoliosis which causes him back pain and will have to have surgery to put rods in his back. He's only 10. You remind me of my son - you both have been given great courage and grace from the Lord.

    As your mom does, I am sure, I also grieve some days for my son, but his strength helps me. I'll bet your mom is encouraged by your attitude and strength. Sometimes, when my son is feeling down, I'll feel sad and want to cry with him, but that is sometimes not the best thing. I have to be the one to cheer HIM up or tell him to go on. I worry that makes me look like I don't care. Do you ever feel that way? Just know that when it appears people don't care because they're telling you to "just go on" that is when they care the most!

    You are a special young man - the Lord has already used you - continue to allow Him to do so. Your faith is made strong - stronger than most young men - because of this "weakness." God has a mighty plan for you, for sure, and what a blessing it is that you realize this.

    I will keep you in my prayers and have my son read your testimony. If you think to pray for him, his name is Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nathan! My name is Michelle, I talk with your mom just about every day on CHF. I found your families blog today and I have to say that your post really touched me. Espically the part where you said,"I already have dyslexia and take growth hormone shots and now have Tourette's Syndrome. Wow! God must have something big for me." You are an amazing young man and I want to encourage you to NEVER lose that thought process! God DOES have something really big for you! You will minister to so many people in your life! You have a great attitude, keep up the good work!!! (I have a little one whose name is Nathan too, I hope he grows up to have a heart like yours!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nathan,
    You are quite an amazing kid! I admire your attitude in dealing with all of these struggles. Your mom shared this blog with me and I share it with my boys. After reading what you wrote, the boys were really impressed with how much faith you have.
    Jeremiah 29:11-13 is a promise that we hold tightly also.
    May God richly bless you!
    Dawn Wimer
    p.s. We enjoy the pictures and reading that you spotted mountain lion prints was too cool...I wish we had mountain lions around here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nathan,
    My name is Julie, and I belong to a group with your mom. I'm so glad she told us about your post, because the Lord has really used you this morning to bless me. I have great admiration for you, and am so pleased to read that your struggles seem to have drawn you even closer to the Lord. God must have some very big plans for you...He has already used you just today in my life. Thank you for sharing so honestly from your heart!
    Blessings,
    Julie (NED pastors wives)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing man, Nathan. God certainly does have a great plan for your life. He trusts you to glorify God and you do. My prayers for you to stay strong and courageous. God is with you wherever you go. He never says "Oops! I didn't know Nathan had tourettes or dyslexia. He knows and He cares."

    My prayers for you,
    Elaine Miller

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blessings, Nathan! Congratulations on passing the test!
    Ruth Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blessings, Nathan. Congratula
    tions on passing the test!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live