Onion Bagels

Photobucket

One of the kinds of bagels I make quite regularly is onion bagels. I thought I'd share the recipe here.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. onion powder
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
4 tsp. dried onions (pre-soaked)**
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg (to brush on bagels before baking)

** presoak dried onions in 1/3 cup warm water for 10 minutes. Drain and press water from onions. Use 2 tsp. in recipe and save the rest for the top of the bagels

1. Put yeast in large mixing bowl and add water and stir until dissolved.

2. Add salt, sugar, onion powder and 2 tsp. dried onions and mix well.

3. Add flours until soft dough is formed.

4. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.

5. Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double in size.

6. Divide dough into 12 parts. Form balls, gently press thumb through the center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape. Cover and let rise.

7. While bagels rise, bring three quarts of water and one tablespoon of sugar to a rapid boil in a large saucepan.

8. Drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water. Boil on each side for 1/2 minutes. Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining dried onions.

9. Bake at 400 degrees on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden - approximately 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Yum! They look delicious...thank you for sharing your recipe!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell them...mmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo glad you posted this recipe! I have been trying to work up the courage to make bagels for weeks now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bagels and these sure do look yummy! I can just imagine how good they are. I may just try these. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're making my mouth water. Have you ever tried using fresh onion in the recipe? I never have dried onion on hand. But I might need to get me some.........

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live