A Loaf Full of Love


Shauna Niequest ~

“I think preparing food and feeding people brings nourishment not only to our bodies but to our spirits. Feeding people is a way of loving them, in the same way that feeding ourselves is a way of honoring our own createdness and fragility.”  

I love feeding people.  As I work in my kitchen, I often think about who I am feeding, pray for them and pour my heart into what I'm making.  It's a way to show love to people.

Stephen made a comment under one of my Facebook posts the other night that was so unexpected and brought tears to my eyes.  He said, "You do a lot more for our family than cook for them, Mom. You are, along with Dad and of course Jesus, the foundation of who I am and who the Groh's are. Thank you, I love you!!"

As parents we often wonder if we are making mistakes or at times, doing anything right!  So it was nice to get some affirmation straight from his mouth.  But my kitchen is the center of our home and it's from the many familial offerings created there that advice is given, prayers are lifted up, nourishment is provided and the foundation is laid.  So yes, I do more than cook for my family but it's through my cooking that many other things are accomplished.

I can truly say that my children know I love them not just by my words and embraces, but by my food.  I've spent countless hours coming up with creations that would work with Emily's food allergies.  Meals are a way that Nathan especially feels loved.  I said to Dan the other day that Nathan should have been born in a different time because he is perfectly happy with three large meals a day.  :-)  Things I make to fatten up my thin college student are done with a tremendous amount of love.  I know when my husband's birthday roles around a pie is his request.  I know each of their favorites and the things they hate.  I take a lot of time to not just make sure it tastes good but is presented attractively

I love to bake and cook.  I love being creative.  I love my friends and family.  For me, it's all intertwined.

Comments

  1. What a nice compliment from Stephen! Your children and husband love you and appreciate everything you do for them. It's nice to get complimented every once in a while though!
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was, you are truly a Proverbs 31 lady.

    Kathi in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you must feel so blessed to read your son's comment.. And I agree with Kathi that you are indeed a Proverbs 31 lady.. God bless...xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree too.
    My son says there is always a smell of baking in my kitchen! I think it is one of the best things we women can offer..food made with love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live