Three Things


My head is spinning a bit this morning after my roller coaster of a ride this week.  Circumstances, emotions, and busyness all threatened to derail me, but when I was tempted to complain and whine, I remembered these three principles taken out of Romans 12.  They help me to keep an even keel no matter what I'm facing.

Romans 12:12 (HCSB) ~

Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer.

Rejoice in hope - When I feel hopeful, I celebrate.  I feel upbeat and positive and thankful.  I make sure I thank God for the hope I have.  It's that spark that keeps me going and I am very grateful that for the most part I can see God's hand on different situations in my life.  Hope is the reason I get up each morning and can face a new day.  That spark of hopefulness makes me rejoice!

Patient in affliction - When times are rough, I remember to have patience in the midst of it.  I remind myself of the ways God has worked in the past and believe that He will work in the future.  I ask for wisdom in the situation.  I look for the lesson in the pain.  I try not to say, "Why me?" but, "What is the lesson I can learn from this?"  Patience means just that; not complaining, not whining, and not throwing myself down and having a proverbial temper tantrum.  It means quietly and calmly going about my business and trusting.

Persistent in prayer - No matter whether things are on an upswing or a downswing, I pray.  Prayer is the one thing that we are taught over and over again in God's word.  Pray without ceasing.  So I work to do that no matter if things are good or things are bad.  My prayer life needs to be consistent and persistent.  Prayer is our reminder of our dependence upon God.

It may have been a rollercoaster of a week as far as my circumstances, but I'm working to remember these three things.  We make our lives so complicated, but if we could remember these three key phrases it would certainly be simpler, wouldn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live