Lacey


 



I generally fit into any setting I'm put in.  We've done inner city ministry, church planting and rural ministry.  Some things I've liked more than others, but I've always adapted.  Some of that may be because one of my top spiritual gifts is missionary so I fit into whatever setting or culture I'm in.

But at heart, I've always been a country girl.  That doesn't mean I love being isolated and in the midst of nowhere, but it does mean that I have an affinity for the simpler things in life.  I love all things handmade, homemade and earthy.  Even when we lived in one of the most densely populated cities in the United States doing ministry, I was gardening, canning, sewing, and hanging my clothes out to dry.  And I was only in my mid-20s then.  

This week was no different.  I've put up 17 pints of bread and butter pickles, 11 quarts of dill pickles and yesterday, spent some time harvesting Queen Anne's Lace heads to turn into jelly.  I love this jelly because it has such a light and delicate taste and reminds me of rose water.  

Another affinity I have is for lace.  I recently purged my sewing stash since I closed down the business and there was no sense sitting on tons of fabric I'll never use.  So I gave it to a friend who sews for a local charity.  However, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the lace I had.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it at this point, but it'll get turned into something. 

In the meantime, I'll enjoy looking at it and reflecting on some creative way to use the lacey bits into projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live