Apple Cake

This is one of my favorite recipes and it's delicious so I thought I'd share it with you all.

Apple Cake
6-7 peeled, cored and quartered apples
generous 2 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
generous 1 cup raisins
1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts
1 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract

For the icing
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 Tbsp. milk

First put the apples, 4 Tbsp. of the sugar and the water in a saucepan and bring toa boil. Simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up any lumps. Let cool. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 7 1/2 cup tube pan. I used a Bundt pan.
Photobucket

Sift the flour, baking soda and spices into a bowl.
Photobucket

Remove 2 Tbsp. of the mixture to another bowl and toss with the raisins and 1 cup of the walnuts. I make this without nuts because Emily is allergic.
Photobucket

Cream the butter or margarine and the remaining sugar together until light and fluffy.
Photobucket

Fold in the apple mixture gently.
Photobucket

Fold the flour mixture into the apple mixture.
Photobucket

Stir in the vanilla and then the raisin and walnut mixture.
Photobucket

Pour into the tube pan.
Photobucket

Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours. Cool completely in the pan on the wire rack, then unmold onto the rack.
Photobucket

Obviously, I didn't wait long enough because some of the cake stuck to the pan. No problem, the icing will cover it.
Photobucket

For the icing, put the sugar in a bowl and stir in the vanilla and enough milk until the icing is smooth and has a thick pouring consistency.
Photobucket

Transfer the cake to a serving plate and drizzle the icing on top.
Photobucket

Sprinkle with remaining nuts, if using. Allow the icing to set.
Photobucket


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Terri, I'm drooling on the keyboard. Oh how I wish I could cook. I keep trying. :-)

    Leah
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/lcourtneymom/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy, Terri. I copied this recipe and will be trying it soon. We are always having dinners at church, I may make this for the next one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yummy!!! Thanks for sharing all your recipes!!! God Bless!!!~Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.