Caponata (Eggplant Appetizer)

My friend Stephanie and I both love ethnic food as do our husbands. So we decided long ago to put the names of different countries in a basket and take turns drawing a name and then cooking an entire meal from that country.

This past Saturday night was my turn and I had Italy as the country. Now, I could of taken the easy way out and made spaghetti and meatballs but I know Stephanie would never let me live it down! ;-) So I did a bit more complicated fare.

We had caponata with water crackers, pasta al forno, homemade Italian bread and bitter greens salad with roasted beets and orange vinaigrette.

I thought I'd share the caponata recipe with you. I've had it before out of a can and I thought this turned out much better. Not everyone is an eggplant fan but I personally love it.

First you peel and cube 3 small eggplant. Put in a colander and sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
Photobucket

In the meantime, chop 3 small onions, mince 2-3 garlic cloves, and chop 2 stalks of celery.
Photobucket

Saute the onion, garlic and celery in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Photobucket

Add 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes.
Photobucket

Cook an additional 10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick.

Rinse the salt from the eggplant and pat dry. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil to a pan and heat until hot. Add the eggplant. Cook until the eggplant is tender and turning golden brown.
Photobucket

Meanwhile set aside 1/4 cup of chopped parsley, 1/4 cup of capers, 1/2 cup sliced black olives and 1/4 cup wine vinegar.
Photobucket

Add the eggplant to the tomato mixture along with the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for another 10 mintues. Add salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
Photobucket

Let come to room temperature before serving. Place in a serving bowl and surround with garlic toast, crackers or bread.
Photobucket

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I'd never heard of Caponata, but it sounds good. I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lot of work for a little dip but I have to admit, it also sounds good. I bet it disappeared didn't it?

    Love
    Mom

    PS Probably Dan loves it when you have these dinners, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo! I wish I had known about this when I had an eggplant glut over the summer.

    I love the lilac theme on oyur blog at the moment. I can almost smell them.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, a simpler solution is to go to the Italian section of the grocery store and buy a can of it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live