Spicy Chicken Gumbo

This is one of my favorite soups. I usually make it on the stovetop but decided to make it in the crockpot today.

First, boil 1 whole chicken, cut up.
Photobucket

Then prep. the following vegetables.
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, diced.

Photobucket

Saute in a skillet with 4 Tbsp. olive oil.


Photobucket

Blend in 2 Tbsp. flour. Cook and stir over low heat until the vegetables are tender.


Photobucket

Meanwhile, I cut up 2 cups of okra. You can used frozen okra to save a step.

Photobucket

I placed the following in the crockpot.
Cooked vegetables
Okra
2 (14 oz.) cans of diced tomatoes
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
3 cups of broth (I used the broth from the cooked chicken)

Photobucket

Next get your spices out and add it to the soup mix.
1 1/2 T. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 1/2 T. Worcestershire Sauce
1/8 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. chili powder
pinch dried basil
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Photobucket

Shred or dice the cooked chicken and add to the gumbo.

Photobucket

Cook on low for 6 hours. Serve over rice if desired. This thickens as it cooks.

Photobucket

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Dear Terri,
    This looks delicious ~ I have never had okra before so I will have to give this a try! You have the best recipes!! :)

    Have a lovely day!!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I like okra though it has a bit of a slimy feeling. If you're not expecting that it can throw you a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, this looks soooo good, but the okra is the reason I CANNOT eat gumbo. I can eat fried okra all day long, but I cannot handle it like this. I wonder if something else could be substituted in its place?

    ReplyDelete
  4. April,

    I would think you could use green beans instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks so good..I am not fond of okra, might have to substitute....I know...then it wouldn't be gumbo...couldn't I fake it?
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deby, you could just call it spicy chicken soup! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.