Sewing Lesson

Well, I survived my first sewing lesson - with Emily. :-) I finally made myself give her a sewing lesson. She has been begging me for months and I've been procrastinating for months. However, I couldn't wait any more. She is so eager to learn and I really needed to do it. I was afraid though, very afraid. LOL!

It went very well. It only took about 30 minutes and she loved it. At the end she said to me, "I'm SO happy!"

First, I taught her the basic elements of the machine - presser foot, pedal, wheel, etc. I showed her the guide lines on the machine so she would know how to keep her seams straight.

Then she practiced some straight seams at different lengths - 1/4", 1/2", 3/4".
Photobucket

She did remarkable well at picking up what needs to happen. I think a lot of it comes from watching me sew.
Photobucket

Finally, I let her do a project. She wanted to make a little pillow for one of her stuffed animals. I thought it would be a good, little project to start with. Here is the final result.
Photobucket

Great job, Emily! The only problem now is that I'm going to have to fight with her over the use of the machine. :-)

Comments

  1. this post looks similar to one I had not long ago, when Kaycie took a "sewing lesson". It's fun when they get old enough to do things like this, isn't it?
    Instead of a little pillow, Kaycie had made some pouches for stashing small items in. Gotta love our cute girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you teach my girls too? :) I'm self taught so I'm halfway afraid that I'll teach them something wrong. I wonder if there is a good sewing curriculum for girls somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never found a curriculum but I'm sure there has to be something out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Terri and Emily! Can you come over and teach me now? My sewing skills are very basic and I always bend the rules too...you'll need to take me in hand! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous!! Emily please could you teach me how to run straight seems - I am useless at them!
    Terri - what a wonderful gift you have given - to be able to sew will save her a fortune and bring tons of pleasure!
    I wish I'd been taught so young!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved teaching my grandaughter to use my machine, we had such fun together. There is such a feeling of achievement when they finish something.
    I was taught by my mum, so it gets passed on, doesnt it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful accomplishment for both of you ~ good work!

    Have a great day,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great for Emily! Good job, Em....and how wonderful that your Mom is willing to teach you the things that you need to learn...such patience! Good job, Terri!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.