A Disciplined Life

"Tedium is the granddaughter of despondency, and the daughter of slothfulness. In order to drive it away, labour at your work, and do not be slothful in prayer. The tedium will pass, and zeal will come. And if to this you add patience and humility, then you will be rid of all misfortunes and evils."

~St. Ambrose of Optina


My friend, Tina has this quote on her blog which I really like. Of course, because it's in language we don't really use today, I had to read it a few times to understand the meaning.

I have found this to be true in my own life. There are days when I don't feel like doing anything. I fritter my time away on the computer. I find it hard to get motivated and generally things don't get done around here if I continue in this mode. It just breeds even more of a feeling of lethargy. I feel like I have no energy and the more I continue this way, the more down and gloomy I feel too.

However, if I make myself get up and get moving, I find that I begin to get more and more energetic. My whole attitude changes too because I'm accomplishing things around the house.

The longer I live, the more I realize that it is imperative that we gain mastery over our "feelings." Our emotions are fickle and change like the wind. However, if we push past the feelings and bring them into control, our lives will be so much more productive.

It is so important to discipline our lives in this way. All of us will have a down day from time to time and of course, if you are feeling lethargic the majority of the time you may need to get a check-up from your doctor to rule out a physical problem.

Most of the time, I find I just need to get up regardless of how I feel and push past the feelings and move that body!

Comments

  1. So agree with you Terri. I am now going to force myself away from the computer, and face the ironing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Terri, just what I needed to read! Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Terri. Love the part about gaining "mastery" over our feelings. So important. Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The absolute truth!

    Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very good advice. Thanks for reminding us to discipline ourselves, Terri! Right now, I'm having a great deal of pain with my arthritis but that is no excuse to be lazy. Sometimes one just needs to keep moving, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very good advice. Thanks for reminding us to discipline ourselves, Terri! Right now, I'm having a great deal of pain with my arthritis but that is no excuse to be lazy. Sometimes one just needs to keep moving, regardless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments and encouragement! I can't always respond back but do read each comment.

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live