Haste Makes Waste in Decision-Making


Those of you who are methodical and think things through before acting or responding probably don't have to reflect on the saying, "haste makes waste" too much. But for some it's a hard lesson to learn, especially if you are a quick decision maker.

I did look up where the saying came from and it was first recorded in the apocryphal Book of Wisdom around 190 BCE. It says, “There is one that toileth and laboureth, and maketh haste, and is so much the more behind.” Over time it was shortened to the quip we know today.

For myself, it's a lesson I've had to learn. I've spent countless hours throughout the years having to go back and redo something or find solutions to problems brought about by being too hasty in my actions or response in agreeing to  do something another wants me to do. 

To be honest, that later problem is more of what I have struggled with in my life. I have difficulty saying no to people so tend to get caught up in their enthusiasm and agree to something I later regret. Often I'm being asked to do many things because people know I have the gift of administration. In fact, recently someone said, "People come to you because you get things done." While that's a wonderful trait it can really be difficult for me to say, "no."

While some people seem to be almost paralyzed by the inability to start a task or program which can be its own issue, there is benefit in taking time to think something all the way through. Taking careful and deliberate action is something I'm practicing and getting much better at, though I still fall into those old habits from time to time. 

I'm learning that it's okay to say, "Give me time to think about it before I give an answer." And if my answer is no, I'm trying to learn to be okay that my answer may disappoint someone. I really dislike that, but I'm discovering that someone else's agenda does not need to be mine.

As I reflect and think a task or decision through to the conclusion, I save time because I'm not having to go back and either change my mind or fix mistakes that I made in my haste.

I am practicing doing the following before agreeing:

1. Say, "Let me think and pray about it and get back to you." Then I do try and give a timeline of when that will happen. It may be a day or a week or a month, depending on what it is.

2. I try to find out what the commitment or activity entails before making a decision.

3. I then actually pray about the decision. I ask the following questions. "Is this something that You want me to do or am I just trying to please someone for their approval?"

4. And if I can only help in a small way rather than taking on a whole project I make that known. I try to be clear in understanding what another's expectations are and I try to communicate clearly what my level of expectation is.

5. Once I agree I put my whole heart and effort into doing it.

I feel like a slow learner because I'm constantly fighting against my "go get 'em" personality, but I am thankful that I've seen huge strides in this area of my life. 

And who knows? Maybe by the end of my life I'll be better known for the motto, "Slow and steady wins the race!" 😄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choosing Not to Kick the Cat

Oh What to Do; I'm Sixty-Two!

Eating to Live