Wednesday Words of Encouragement


Matthew 4:18-20 ~ As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.

Matthew 9:9 ~ As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.

Luke 5:27-28 ~ After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. “Follow me,” Jesus said to him, and Levi got up, left everything and followed him.  

Matthew 10:27 ~ My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

When I was 14,  I clearly heard the voice of God calling me and telling me to follow Him into full-time ministry.  I thought that meant I would be a missionary in some foreign land.  I didn't end up overseas but I did follow Him without hesitation.

Dan also heard that same call during his college years.  As he sat through a church service, he clearly heard the call on his life into full-time ministry.  That voice led him to seminary and then later on, led both of us to the inner city of Paterson, NJ. and then into the pastorate.

As you read about Jesus' call to the disciples to follow him, it is amazing that those who stayed with him to the end followed without hesitation.  Simon and Andrew left a family business and their boats and equipment at once.  Matthew left a lucrative job, got up immediately and followed.  Levi, too, left his business and followed without hesitation.

I'm sure their family and friends didn't understand that call.  They may have received flack for following Jesus.  People probably talked among themselves about how these men had gone off the deep end.  They may have even felt resentful towards the disciples for deserting them. When God calls the mark of His followers is to follow immediately.  

Is God calling you to something today?  Do you hear His voice, telling you to follow Him?  What will your response be?  Will it be to tell Him that you are not ready yet?  That you need to get your affairs in order first?  Or will it be as these men did and get up, follow immediately, and without hesitation?

The disciples couldn't see the end result.  They didn't know where this path they had chosen might lead.  But because of their faithfulness, the good news spread throughout the world.  

If you hear God's call and follow Him, you too, will be vessels that can be used to do His work.  Listen, get up and follow immediately!

Comments