Waterworks


It hits me in waves and out of nowhere every so often. That feeling like things are changing and I can't catch my breath and where did the time go? I'll go merrily along my way each day for weeks and then, Bam!, another wave in the face.

It actually happened a couple of times yesterday. I was sitting and chatting with my hair dresser and we were chatting about crop share farms and the pros and cons of whether they would work for us. I mentioned to her the fact that I do a lot of canning and when I want tomatoes I want a whole case. Then the thought occurred to me that with only three of us home I may not need that many tomatoes. 

Instant tears.

It happened again yesterday afternoon when Emily texted me, fussing about why did I let Stephen sleep in her room. The silly young man took a selfie of himself in his cap in gown in her room so the cat is out of the bag! lol  I texted her back that it was just until he leaves next week and that she won't be home this summer so it shouldn't matter anyway.

Tears again.

Last night Dan had worship practice and Stephen, Nathan and I played a card game. As we laughed and enjoyed each other's company, the thought crossed my mind that after next week it'll be a while for this to happen again.

Moisture. Sigh.

Motherhood and waterworks seem to go together. I know they have to leave the nest and I don't want them to stay, but emotions are such complicated things, aren't they? I'm proud of my children. They have weaknesses as do we all, but they also have wonderful strengths. 

Nathan is working hard a job that he does enjoy. Stephen leaves for a six-month internship on May 13th in a church about 3 hours away. Emily got an on-campus job this summer so she is happy. 

Children grow up. They stretch their wings. They fly and life goes on. It's the way things are supposed to be and it's good. This mama will grow and stretch too, but with a few tears along the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eating to Live

Haste Makes Waste in Decision-Making

The Result of Staying Connected