Sometimes You Need to Stop and Smell the Roses



We are on vacation this week and had made plans for yesterday, but I told Dan the night before that a lot depended upon how I felt. I really thought it wasn't going to happen yesterday morning, but I doctored up on Tylenol, took a nap during the hour and a half car ride and drank some hot tea and actually had a very nice day.

We drove down to one of the Finger Lakes and went to the Sonnenberg Gardens and Mansion. This was the summer home of a wealthy banker and his wife. She loved to travel and recreated famous places from all over the world. So we sauntered through Japanese gardens, Roman bathhouses, a statue of Diana, and other Greek gods. 

There were greenhouses with plants from all over the world, as well as numerous flower gardens. The layout of the entire estate was such that you had to take your time and weave in and out of gardens. It was beautiful!

We had a light lunch in the café on the grounds and then ended up spending 3 hours just wandering around. My knee held up well and I actually walked at almost a normal pace. The only thing I couldn't do was the upstairs section of the mansion because there was no way I was getting up two steep flights of stairs.

We took the tram ride back to the parking lot which was quite a way from where we ended and the gentleman driving it gave us an unexpected guided tour of many of the places.


















When we left there, we drove along Canandaigua Lake and stopped at a park to take some pictures and ate frozen custard. 

On the way home, we drove by these eagle's nests along the top of these electric poles. I've seen them there before but it's hard to stop because it's a highway and doesn't have a large shoulder. But I rolled down my window and even with a huge dump truck barreling along behind us at 60 miles an hour, was able to get a shot of the eaglets who look like they are getting ready to fly.







I'm so glad I rallied and we went because it ended up being such a fun day. There really wasn't anything frugal about it because it cost a bit to get into the place and the lunch wasn't cheap but it was worth the money.

I think that's it for our so-called vacation this week.  I have an appointment with the surgeon this afternoon and I'm hoping he doesn't cancel the surgery.  We might be able to do something tomorrow but it really depends how I feel. Surgery is Thursday and then obviously, recouping the rest of the week. Fun times! 

Comments