Snow Day Musings


 

Edith Sitwell ~

“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” 

It snowed last night and it is the first significant snow of the year. Because the snow is supposed to continue for part of the day, schools are closed here. So Dan won't be tutoring today and Stephen's substitute teaching job was canceled for the day.

Our house is small so there is no where to go to get away from the noise which means my plans have changed a bit. I have chatty people living with me who don't need the same level of quiet that I would like at times. So it's more than likely going to be a day of baking and sewing and games and chatting. The only thing missing is Emily. Dan is going to get her on Wednesday morning and she'll be home for the holiday weekend.

I was reflecting on the above quote and how Dan and I have worked hard to create an atmosphere of honesty and openness. We want our children to love their home. They have never been the normal morose teenagers. They have been open and honest with us for the most part. They tell us their struggles and they come to us with their problems. And I'm not sharing this so you think we are perfect; we're not. Sometimes the sharing is messy and upsetting and our responses are not always appropriate or Godly, but I am thankful that the lines of communication have always been open.

One day I was fussing to Dan about Emily talking about something and he said, "At least she shares with us." "I never told my parents anything going on in my life." And that helped put it in perspective because I was the same way.

So our family has moments of getting frustrated or angry with one another, but we work it out quickly and we never leave the situation unresolved. We talk through our issues. We pray with one another. Each one here knows they are loved. Almost every single conversation or text message is ended with the words, "I love you." and to have my adult children tell me that each day warms my heart.

Today I may start to feel irritated by all the noise, but then I'll remember that I have family around me to make that noise and take a moment to thank God for that fact. Snow days may be an interruption of my normal routine by I am thankful that I have people who love me around me to make those interruptions.

Comments